Panchakarma is the ultimate, personalized mind-body cleansing, detoxifiying and rejuvenative therapy. Regardless of your profession, lifestyle, or eating habits, many toxins are present everywhere in your environment. Chemicals in your food and water worsen the problem. Toxins build up in the body over time, like a snowball. Many of them mimic hormones in your body and interfere with your endocrine system. Once absorbed by the body, they attack cells, distort cell’s proper functioning, and refuse to get out of your system causing different diseases.
Ayurvedic Panchakarma subtly removes these toxins from your mind and body. Panchakarma procedures are designed to function synergistically to maximize the removal of toxins while maintaining the harmony of natural body functions. The purifying and eliminating actions of Panchakarma first dislodge the toxins from the cells and then flush them out of your body. Panchakarma also opens up all the subtle channels in the body, so life energy and nutrients can flow freely nourishing each and every cell. By restoring your circadian rhythm, all systems in the body start functioning at their peak performance and the immune system becomes strong.
Who should do Panchakarma? Panchakarma is both a preventative maintenance program for your mind and body as well as a treatment for chronic health problems. Each Panchakarma program is personalized according to each individual’s needs. Some of the therapies may be added, some dropped or extended as per the need. As a prevention program, once a year Panchakarma is recommended for every person – man or woman, young or old, healthy or sick. As a treatment, Panchakarma is recommended for people who work in high stress environments, or have irregular eating habits or those suffering from various chronic illnesses on “as needed” basis.
How long is a Panchakarma treatment? A typical Panchakarma is a 7 to 10 day program. Each day, a person undergoes 5 different therapies every day. However depending on the need, Panchakarma can also be a 14 or 21 day program which is determined by the person’s health condition.
Panchakarma – The Essential Process
Panchakarma literally means “five therapeutic procedures” to purify the Mind/Body. It is a series of steps performed tyipically for 7 days, tailored to your unique body constitution. It involves three stages – Purva Karma, Pradhan Karma and Paschat Karma.
Stage 1 – Purva Karma: Toxins are loosened from various tissues and mobilized towards the digestive system. Purva Karma begins with Abhyanga, an oil massage. During this procedure, the whole body, from head to toe, is massaged with herbal oil. Oil is also taken internally. The massage oil and oral oil help to loosen all toxins within the seven layers of tissue.
- It penetrates the tissues, increases circulation and loosens toxins.
- Lubricates and protects tissues from damage.
- Calms the nerves and sooths the skin.
- Opens the pores and relieves pain and tension in the muscles and ligaments.
- Removes blockage in subtle energy channels.
- Balances the nervous system
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Mind becomes peaceful
- Improves hearing and vision
- Life becomes peaceful and more enjoyable
- Sharpens sense organs
- Prevents diseases above the neck e.g. sinus problems, migraines, TMJ,
- Prevents headaches, neck stiffness
- Strengthens joints of the scalp and face
- Improves skin texture and prevent wrinkles
- Prevents early graying, balding, hair falling
- Improves clarity of voice
- It opens the pores and helps to move the toxins out of the body through’ sweat.
- It dilates the body’s energy channels, and removes blockage.
- Reduces coldness, stiffness, and pain in the tissues.
- Loosens toxins
- Loosen the toxins
- Cleanse colon and strengthen colon muscles
- Improves absorption of food
- Balances root energies in the body
- Prevent constipation, hemorrhoids, chronic pain, fatigue,
- Rejuvenate body
Stage 2 – Pradhan Karma: The main phase, consists of the five purification procedures, in Panchakarma
- Vamana – Medicated Emesis
- Virechana – Medicated Purgation
- Basti – Medicated Enemas
- Nasya – Medicated Nasal Drops
- Rakta moksha – Blood Letting
Stage 3 – Paschat Karma: It involves restoration of strong digestive enzymes and rejuvenation of tissues. This stage is designed to nourish, strengthen, and balance the newly detoxified tissues. The aim is to establish increased energy levels, strengthen the immune system and increase longevity. This is accomplished by taking strengthening herbs for a month.